Saturday, April 17, 2004

The very first post...

So hello and welcome to Athens2004blog - my new (and first) blog which over the next few months will offer a fan's eyes view of the build up to the Olympics, before I head from London to Athens to offer a personal lowdown on the Games themselves.

I've visited Athens many times in the last few years (it's where my girlfriend's family are from) so I've been watching with interest to see if it looks like they'll be ready in time for the Games. When we were there last month the city was still characterised by bulldozers, roadworks, builders and a general feel of apathy amongst Athenians - most of whom leave the city every August to escape the stifling heat and are not planning anything different this year.

But I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon of doomsayers who seem convinced that the games will be a flop. There are positives - the new airport is superb, the Games' website (www.athens2004.com) is impressively well-run and the organisers still seem convinced that things will be ready in time. Let's hope so. Because if it all comes together it should be a memorable and magical 17 days.

Ah well, that'll do for an intro. I'm new to this blog software - so expect things to progress over the next few days. But thanks for reading this far and keep an eye out for updates.

No comments: