Robin gets his (free) kicks
Originally uploaded by athens2004blog.
Right. Quick post cos Greece v USA basketball is on TV and it's 45-44 in the 3rd quarter...
Just got back from the football (or, if you're that way inclined, soccer), Argentina beat Australia 1-0 in a fairly uneventful men's game (with some nice flashes of skill) after Germany had outclassed Mexico in the women's game, winning 2-0.
Nice stadium, 26,400 crowd and a good atmosphere, but there was no half time entertainment (certainly no bikini dancers!) and there were HUGE queues for refreshments (I actually went looking for the missus after 25 minutes, worrying that she'd been abducted or something!). Still, at least we kept up our record of having heard 'We Will Rock You' by Queen at every single Olympic event we've been to so far.
53-44 to the US in the basketball. Wow, in the time it takes to type a paragraph...
So to the latest competition entries:
- Diegem - who says she's quit watching CNN because they're so negative; 33 Euros.
- John Abatzoglou, a Greek in California who's dad is in Athens watching the Games; 32 Euros.
- Simon Wonder Wally from Southport; 14.5 Euros. (He also asks if we'll see any British medals being won - our best hope is the mixed doubles badminton final, I believe the Brits are in the semis...)
- Andria from Texas (who's very kind about this blog); 26 Euros.
- And, having been told what a creme caramel is, KJ has gone for 36 Euros.
Plus, earlier, Dennis - 20 Euros. Roberto - 24 Euros. GM - 38 Euros.
At the moment no one is within 2 Euros of the correct answer...
Busy day tomorrow - water polo, tennis AND football. An Olympic hat-trick!
57-53! Oh it looks like a nailbiter and it's calling my name...
(STOP PRESS: US pipped the plucky Greeks 77-71 in the end. Cracking contest though.)