Friday, July 23, 2004

My first Highland Games...

So, yesterday was the day I got a feel for track and field from a competitor's point of view, taking part in the Isle Of Mull Highland Games 2004 (see link below) up in the Western Isles Of Scotland. What an absolutely top day out. I'm 29 and haven't raced or jumped competitively since my last school sports day 13 years ago, but it was so much fun - and it fulfilled a lifelong dream to compete in front of a crowd that had paid to get in (I was up there with work and a mate from there managed to get me entered for some events).

I jumped just under 18 feet in the long jump (to come 5th out of 6 - this against folk from proper athletics clubs) and managed 1.50m in the high jump (7th out of 16 - dead chuffed with that). But the highlight was the Visitor's One Lap Race. There were about 25 entrants and I won! I over-took the leader on the last bend with a Steve Cram-like burst of pace to sprint down the home straight with the crowd of about 400 cheering. I even got my picture taken for the local paper. My prize - a botte of whisky - will be cherished!

And, of course, now when I'm at the Olympic Stadium watching my, um, fellow athletes I'll be able to nod sagely like I know what I'm talking about...

:)

Isle Of Mull Highland Games

No comments: